Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mango with Sticky... Oatmeal!

Byron was about to serve us a bowl of cold cereal for breakfast.  I appreciate him serving breakfast, but cold cereal is possibly my least favorite breakfast food.  Whenever he asked what I want, I always say, "Two eggs over medium, grits, country ham, biscuits, red-eye gravy and tomatoes."  I dream big!

I had some ripe mangoes I needed to use. They were cut up and in the fridge.  Would they be good in cold cereal?

"How about some oatmeal with mango?"  I was about half serious and half kidding.

Then I started thinking about it.  I had fresh coconut in the freezer, almond coconut milk in the fridge... maybe this would work!  It sounded like a breakfast twist on the classic Thai dessert, Mango with Sticky Rice.

Here are a few notes before you try the recipe:
  • You can use canned coconut milk, but I had Blue Diamond almond coconut milk, found in the dairy section.  
  • I think ripe mango is naturally sweet enough and the slight tartness pairs well with the slight saltiness of the oatmeal.  
  • Don't skip salting the oatmeal.  You might even add a pinch more if you can't taste it when the oatmeal is cooked.


Mango with Sticky Oatmeal

1-2 mangoes, cut into bite-sized cubes 
1 cup old-fashioned oats 
1 cup Lite coconut milk 
3/4 cup water
1/2 tsp. sea salt
pinch of ground ginger
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sucanat (or brown sugar)
1/4 cup fresh frozen coconut

Start by cutting your mango.  Sweeten if desired (I didn't.)  Follow the directions on the box to cook the oatmeal, substituting the water coconut milk mixture for the water.  You can add the ginger, vanilla, sucanat or sugar and coconut anytime while the oatmeal is simmering.

Serve the oatmeal in bowls.  Top with mango.  If desired, add a bit more of coconut milk and sugar to dress.  Makes 2-3 servings.


I will be making this again.  It was SO delicious!  I had some coconut oil and thought about adding it as I was eating it.  I might try adding a tablespoon next time (it's good for you!)

Let me know if you try this. Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment