Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Quilted Comfort
for Christmas

In early summer, I found some fabrics with tractors on them.  These weren't generic tractors or John Deere, as I has seen before.  They were marked International Harvester and Farmall--tractors once owned by Byron's father.

I also found fabric with maps, trucks, trains and camping gear.  These are all things my father-in-law loves.  First, I made pillowcases for him.  He enjoyed them so much, I later bought a yard of each print, hoping to fussy cut some big blocks for a quilt.

blogged about that quilt top when it was finished.  A few days before Thanksgiving, I was able to go to my friend's house and quilt it on her long arm quilting machine.
This is the first time I had tried free-motion quilting on a full-sized quilt
(I once did  a baby quilt.)

Oops!  The fabric on the front was full of busy prints. 
Sometimes, I couldn't tell where I had sewn...
...so I sewed there again! :P

"Wormie" is my father-in-law's self-labeled nickname.
I quilted it and the other family member's names, as well as the town where he was born.  

The finished quilt (80"x80")

Detail of the blocks

I hope "Wormie" enjoys his huge lap quilt and it keeps him warm this winter.



No comments:

Post a Comment