Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Quilts for Victims

I recently joined the Quilts for Victims group on StitchTalk.  It is headed up by my new online friend, Anita (who I get to meet in person June 2!) 

Anita has supplied info so we can make Quilts for Japan, plus she is in contact with two groups who are making quilts for relief of the victims of the recent Alabama and other area tornadoes.
Yesterday, I made my first quick quilt for the Alabama victims.  I had this cute retro fabric that I paired with some soft blue fleece for the backing.  It's stretchy fleece, so it was contrary to sew.  It's not perfect, but it's super-soft and warm. 
We are supposed to make a child's quilt with a tote bag with a pocket to hold a stuffed animal.  Our Ben Franklin store had canvas totes for $1.49.  I bought several because I can't make them for that!  I made a pocket from one of the retro panels.  I sewed the panel to a complimentary fabric, which made the pocket self-lining, as well as having a pretty blue accent at pocket top and bottom.

I thought of buying a stuffed animal, but remembered I had leftover fleece. I decided to see what I could come up with.  I had seen a lizard pattern on Esty so I tried to make my own pattern.
I figured out how to engineer an open mouth so I could put a red forked tongue in it!  I thought he came out pretty good for a first try. 

Check out his eyes!  Aren't they hilarious?  He looks like Kermit, the frog's cousin.

I also made a infant toy, which is a turtle.  He doesn't have any detachable parts, thus no eyes.  But he too, has a mouth that opens (you really can't see it in these pics.)
Now, I need to go make a quilt and tote to go with the turtle!  It will retro fabric too: Care Bears, LOL!  FYI, our local Hobby Lobby used to have bargain fabric for $1-3 a yard.  They don't anymore, but that's okay because I stashed a half dozen quilts to make someday.

It feels good to help in some small way, but it doesn't feel like much of a sacrifice since I'm having so much fun!

1 comment:

  1. Oh! Good job! I love the turtle, way to use stash :)

    ReplyDelete