Friday, June 03, 2011

Quilt Show and BlockheadZ

Tomorrow is the 3rd day of the Quilt Symposium in Raleigh.  I am meeting up with a couple of gals, Anita and Diana, that I have met online through StitchTalk.  I am EXCITED!  

Among the throngs of quilters, how will we find each other??  I thought if was wearing a nametag, I might be easier to locate.  I stitched one up last night.  I'll let you know how the meet up/show goes!

Those goofy lil hexies are about .5 inch across... too small for me!

It's my turn at Blockheadz quilt block swap!  I mailed out my fabric packets last week.  I am having my fellow quilters make "E" blocks, from a free quilt pattern by Brandon Mably. The quilt pattern instructions are not very clear, but the block is easy-breezy to make. I sat down to sew up a demo or two and before I knew it, I had whipped up seven blocks.

This is a 10 inch block (10.5 unfinished) and there are no tricky triangles or "Y" seams.  Of course, I like it because "E" is my last name initial (I don't know why Brandon likes it, LOL!)
I am using Westminster's Kaffe Fassett and Brandon Mably prints. The circle fabric called "Targets" is my inspiration and border fabric.  The others three pictured are colors for I have yet to make.
Moda "Grunge" in black.  It has gray and teal highlights.
For the dark/black spaces, I am using a Moda fabric called "Grunge."  It comes in several shades and I am smitten with its textural loveliness.

To make an E blocks, you need 2 fabrics:  1-prints or colors and 2-dark for the spaces between.

To construct an E block:
• From the colored print fabric, cut:
3 - 2.5” x 8.5” strips
1 - 2.5” x 10.5” strip

• From the dark fabric, cut:
2 - 2.5” x 8.5” strips

• Alternately sew the three print 2.5” x 8.5” strips to the two dark 2.5” x 8.5” strips.
• The strip 2 1/2” x 10 1/2” is sewn to the left side of the strip section to form the letter “E”

I guess you could figure out how to make other big boxie letters as well.  In the quilt the E's are turned in all different directions.  If I added dark/black sashing, the blocks would appear to be floating.  That might be fun.  It's going to be a lively, colorful project, for sure.

Carrie tells me she already had my blocks finished and has put them in the mail.  She is so speedy.  I can't wait to my "E'" blocks back and see what others have come up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment